Sunday 2 February 2014

A Grain-Free Me!

    Well, it has been some time since I've posted, my apologies.  I have been busy experimenting, trying to figure out what was and was not working for me after I began to feel a bit off about a month ago.

 A lot has changed.

    I noticed that while I was struggling to get enough protein, I was also  inundating myself grain-based foods and it was leaving me feeling like..hmmm...CRAP! I realized that being "almost-vegan" wasn't working for me, especially since I had to cut out soy in order to properly support my thyroid.

    So here I am COMPLETELY Grain/Starch and Sugar-free and after about 3 weeks, I feel amazing! Dare I say it, I feel the best I have felt since realizing I was Hypothyroid...wow.

I am still a supporter of the vegan lifestyle and will still be sharing any awesome vegan/vegetarian dishes I happen upon! However, there will be a lot of different recipes-the focus will be healthy eating (always the point). I do hope to share some awesome grain-free, soy-free and gluten-free recipes  in the future! Today I am starting with grain-free,Paleo-friendly bread!


Flax Grain-Free Bread
* inspired by Grain Free Living

1 1/3 C Flax meal

2/3 C Almond meal

1.5 tsp Cream of Tarter

1 tsp Baking Soda

4 Eggs

3 Tbs Olive Oil

2 -3 Tbs water

*Salt to taste

I buy whole flax and whole raw almonds and just throw them in my food processor. Once you have you almond and flax meal mix all your dry ingredients in a bowl. 




Add wet ingredients to dry mixture and mix altogether until you have a smooth slightly runny consistency. Oil a loaf pan with coconut oil and pour in batter. Bake bread for 30 minutes at 350 degrees and voila! You can eat this delicious stuff right out of the oven!



I cut my loaf into about 15 slices. Each slice contain about 142 calories, 6 grams protein, 12 grams of good flaxy fat and about 6 grams carbohydrates. My daughter enjoys this loaf with some jam. I find it is great with an egg in the morning-lots of nutrient-dense yumminess!


Enjoy your revamped twigs!





No comments:

Post a Comment